Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time for some changes







We have made some changes in the Kerth household. The first is Kara's formula. After a few weeks of sleepless nights and a constantly crying child, we were at our wits end. On Friday I ran into an old tech while I was shopping for a baby gift at Target. Turns out she had a little boy on 10/29. We talked and it seems he has had colic and feeding issues too. She told me that she ended up with Alimentum. She tried Nutramigen but her son got diarrhea from it. She said it did seem to soothe his stomach. When she tried Alimentum, his diarrhea stopped. I have been avoiding this route because Nutramigen and Alimentum is twice as expensive as the Gentlease, which Kara has been on since she was 3 weeks old. We switched on Friday with a label promise to see results within 24 hours. We decided to do Nutramigen because it is a tiny bit less expensive, and we discovered it smells really bad! I was worried she wouldn't eat it because there is like no sugar in it and reports on the internet state many babies don't like it, but Kara didn't miss a beat. But I was sorely dissappointed when Kara kept me up ALL NIGHT on Friday night. I came downstairs with her at 5:30 am, and promptly fell down the stairs with Kara in my arms. I was able to protect her but I bruised both feet, skinned my knee and banged my arm. Randy heard me yell and got out of bed to help me. I went back upstairs and cried myself to sleep. It has been too much for me.
My parents watched Kara when Randy and I went out yesterday. She cried the whole time and barely ate. After we got home, she got a bath and slept until 11:30. After her bottle, Randy took her upstairs and she slept until 2:30, ate and slept until 7:30. We are about 36 hours in to the change. There is hope...

The other change in the Kerth household is our money issues. Randy and I saw Dave Ramsey yesterday. I had been reading his books and I had implemented a budget for our household. I got what he had to say right away! I decided I was the Nerd and Randy was the free spirit. After seeing Dave live yesterday and hearing what he had to say , I think Randy finally got it. He agreed with my nerd/free spirit tags!! So, according to Dave, we are going to become WEIRD!! We are cutting up credit cards, cutting out all unnecssary spending and sticking to a tight budget. I hope to be able to pick up overtime to make some more money, but right now I am too exhausted. We hope to be out of debt within 2 years, except the house. So, no more vacations, no more buying junk, no more eating out....we are going to be weird...and weird is good. Weird will be GREAT when we are out of debt and actually have money in the bank. We will not be slaves to the banks anymore!!! Anyone want to buy a pool table?

No comments: