Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I am the same, with one less tooth...

So I was having tooth pains this weekend. I called the dentist on Monday and made an appointment for Tuesday. Remember I am 3 months pregnant. When I got the the office, My wonderful dentist, Dr. Woody Barksdale, took one look at it and said it looked abscessed. It was very dangerous for the baby. So he wanted to schedule me for an extraction next week. Then he took an x-ray....and got serious fast. He asked me if I could stay and do it today. I was a little freaked out, and not at all prepared.
For those of you who have know me a long time, you know I have had dental problems for years. I was given tetracycline as a baby to treat high fevers. In the 70's, it was unknown the damage tetracycline causes to calcium containing substances, such as teeth and bone. Luckily, all that was damaged was my teeth. I had severe staining and my teeth were very soft, causing multiple cavities. I had my wisdom teeth extracted my senior year and for graduation, my parents paid for a cosmetic procedure that would perfect my smile. I have had over 100 shots of novacaine in my life and 1 root canal. Needless to say, my trips to the dentist are always filled with anxiety.
Dr. Barksdale was more concerned about the baby. The poison in my jaw could hurt the baby if it made it into my blood stream. The tooth needed to go now. So he called my OB/GYN to clarify what I could have and promptly shot me up with novacaine. The tooth was out in 10 minutes and I was on my way.
So now I am properly drugged up and feel like I was punched in the mouth. The icing on the cake? My dentist called me at home tonight to see how I was feeling. So I am the same person I was this morning, just with one less tooth.

No comments: