Sunday, May 25, 2008

And the drama continues...

So this is not the Memorial day weekend I had in mind. It turns out our compressor has blown in the downstairs air cond. It was so bad, it kept tripping the breaker. So we called the warranty company and told them we could not wait until Tuesday. We managed to get our appointment moved up to tomorrow, even though it is a holiday. We are expecting a fight. They are going to only want to replace the compressor, while we believe (and so does our friend) that we need a new air conditioner. So it's been a rough weekend. We spent yesterday shopping for Jordana's new room, buying bedding and bathroom stuff and storage units. I pulled out all Jordana's clothes and sorted them into totes based on age so we can store some away. Basically we spent our whole day out of the house or upstairs. We slept in the guest room. When I woke up this morning, I was very sore from all the walking, se we decided to stay in. The downstairs was bearable this morning so Jordana watched movies while I relaxed in the recliner, cutting coupons and reading the paper. This afternoon we moved upstairs. I was thinking, one more day of this and I can sleep in my own bed and enjoy the entire house again. Then I went into the master bath to brush and wash. As I was walking out into the master bedroom, I heard the dreaded noise no homeowner wants to hear...drip, drip. I look up to the cathedral ceiling and see water dripping. Not only is there water dripping, but the paint has been strained so much, there was an actual blister on the ceiling. I turn the light on, and see the lower corner of the bed is soaked, as well as the dog beds on the floor. I am thinking to myself, what now!!??? So Randy goes upstairs to investigate. Turns out the upstairs unit is being so overworked, the drainage pipe or whatever, has become clogged, causing a flood. 2 of Randy's files boxes that were in the attic are water logged and one of mine. So this has happend to us before, with the downstairs unit. We had to re-sheetrock 2 rooms, including the dining room wall, which we had just finished repainting a few months prior to the incident, as well as the ceiling in the room that is now my office. Normally, we would shut off the unit and move Jordana downstairs to sleep with us....but since we have only ONE WORKING UNIT...we are stuck with the bucket solution until tomorrow. Hopefully the bucket won't overflow and the ceiling won't cave in and ruin our (moved) EXPENSIVE bed!!! So we popped the blister to let out as much water as possible and we discover there are 3 leaks. The sheetrock is destroyed. We had to turn the fan off to prevent it from shorting out so now there is stagnant air in that room. Now we get to bring in the homeowners insurance and they have to duke it out with the warranty company....technically it is their fault. If they had sent someone earlier...this wouldn't have happened. When they say older homes have character....is this what they mean?

No comments: