Saturday, October 4, 2008

A horrible accident...


Yesterday I picked Jordana up from school early to get her a hair cut. On the way I was at a light when police cars and fire trucks tore by me. As I headed down the road, traffic was at a standstill. I was pretty close to the turnoff for Jordana's school, which is at the front of a subdivision, when I realized all the police were headed to that intersection. I could not get to her school. Feeling a little panicky, I managed to find another entrance to the subdivision and wound my way through it to the back entrance to the school. Everything looked alright at the school, but the intersection was flooded with emergency vehicles. I saw children sitting on the side of the road with cervical collars on, and many of the staff members of Jordana's school sitting with them. I parked quickly and headed into the school. Once inside, I asked the first teacher I saw what was going on. Another daycare's bus, headed from a pickup from an elementary school to the daycare facility, just about a mile down the road from Jordana's school, was hit by a truck that ran the light and flipped over. I was told many of the children were not wearing their seatbelts. I ran (as fast as my pregnant ass would let me) to Jordana's classroom...only to find them outside, playing...not at all upset at the commotion happening right in front of them! That's when the news copters showed up. Jordana and I went to the car, and as I was strapping her in, I saw the bus. It was lying on the side where the door is, not the drivers side, and the back doors were open. I saw many of Jordana's school's teachers and administrators helping out. We left and still got the hair cut. I found out on the news, that 7 children and 2 adults were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The truck driver was given a citation. Because the van was just accelerating off a red light, damage was minimal. The rest of the kids walked away. It could have been so much worse. The teachers at Jordana's school assured me, that would never be a concern for the buses because all children riding the buses were required to wear their seat belts. That is non-negotiable. The accident shocked me but I am relieved...I was so scared for the kids and their parents. I hope I never see something that that again. Hug your kids tonight.....

No comments: