Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sad News

I received a phone call from one of my pharmacy school buddies last night. After hearing the message on my machine, I couldn't tell what tone it was, but I was hoping for good news. Carrie had gotten married last September and I thought maybe she had family news. I never expected the words that came out of her mouth; her father had passed away after battling the return of his cancer. After we talked and I sent out some emails to contact some other friends, I called my parents to let them know. They took a real liking to my Purdue roomates and friends, and Carrie is no exception. I cried when talking to my dad. I remember Mr. Galloway's fight against his cancer while we were in school. I admired Carrie's strength, dealing with the stress of school and her fathers illness.
It's times like this when I hate being so far away from my friends. I missed Carrie's wedding because Jordana was too small and now I can't physically be there for her again in her time of need. Carrie has been an amazing friend (as all my closest Purdue buddies have become) and I really miss her. After graduation we got together once to go to the Purdue-Wisconsin game in Wisconsin, and the following year we went to Arizona to vacation together. We had an amazing time. Then there was a string of weddings, with Adria's being the last. I really miss her and all of my Purdue buddies. There is an old adage that your college friends end up being your lifelong friends (not your high school ones), and with the exception of Lisa (my only BF from high school) it is so true for me.
So hug your family tonight and call your parents. Life is to short for pettyness and fighting. Leave the drama to the primetime tv shows.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thank you for the kind words. My dad was a great man. He fought a long, hard battle. He never gave up even when the MD suggested that he stop chemo, dad wanted to try the next option. He was a fighter! I'm glad that you and the Purdue gang had the opportunity to spend time with him. He loved coming to Purdue and hanging out with us. So many memories! He is missed by many. I have read your entry a few times and I cry every time. We have so many memories....so many great times! Miss you!!