Saturday, September 20, 2008

Things I have learned from the storm...

Tree roots and the sprinkers that it ripped up
.


The "clean side" is just as bad as the dirty side...just less flooding.


Living in a forest has it's down side...during a hurricaine.


I can live without electricity (as long as there is a generator)...but not without water.


Insurance companies suck...filed a claim a week ago and have not heard a peep from them.


Neighbors can surprise you.

So can landscape companies...Aaron got a quote to remove his falling tree....$6500....he then found someone to do it for $1500. Some people have no shame.


Jordana says "oh my gosh" alot.


I'm glad I work....I could not be a full time mom.


Jordana thinks the bread at Outback (the pumpernickel kind) is "Chocolate bread".


My Palm Centro is WONDERFUL....kept me online and with email all week.


My dogs drive me crazy when I am cooped up with them all day.


Braxton-hicks contractions are not fun....especially when they happen the day of the hurricaine and you don't know if there is a hospital with power anywhere...let alone clear roads.


Traffic lights are a GOOD thing.


I discovered the joy of watching TV on the internet ( I was able to watch BONES from Wed night)


2 Generators are better than one....especially if you have DSL and your phones work!!!


Swollen ankles are NO FUN!!!


Jordana LOVES taking showers now...we do it every night before bed (since I am not comfortable giving her a bath at night with no lights!!!)


Most of my customers have been understanding....which make me love my store even more. then there are those who are not regular customers, and are just using us because everyone else is closed, and think their problems are the only problems.


Walgreens shocked me by providing gasoline (free) for its employees when the local tanks were empty, and lunch for 2 days. Oh and blowing OT and budgets out of the water.

I may feel like I have it bad...but there are others who have it worse:
Angela who lost her entire roof...and her house
Jeff who has no power or generator, bad roof damage...and some nasty neighbors
The residents of Galveston, Boliver, Jamaica Beach.....who lost everything
The power workers who lost their lives trying to restore power to the city

I am grateful for
no injuries (except Randys wasp sting and my dads busted up leg)
No major damage to homes for my family
The animals of Moody gardens, the Aquarium and the Zoo making it through the storm unscathed
The cold front which has made it more bareable the past few days.

No comments: